Cricketers are loved by fans and sometimes referred to by a nickname due to some reason. These 38 famous cricketers nicknames are very famous with their fans and the cricketing world. They are many times informally addressed by these names.
I will tell you who was ODI revolutionist, Pigeon, Smudge, father of cricket, Pup or Mad Max.
- When Great Rahul Dravid Played For Scotland National Team
- Women Cricketers Who Became National Crush
- Rishabh Pant Life, Career and Girlfriend. The Story Of The Struggle Behind The Smiling Face
Famous Cricketers Nicknames and Reason
1. Sherry – Navjot Singh Sidhu– Sherry is wine, and someone once gave it to Navjot Sidhu’s father. As a result, his father named him Sherry.
2. Wall- Rahul Dravid– He was named as wall as he batted like wall and saved matches when India needed most. He is also called Jammy by teammates and fans.
3. Mr. Cricket- Michael Hussey– This all started in England when Hussey was playing County Cricket. He was in action against Lancashire alongside former England captain Andrew Flintoff and fellow countryman Brad Hogg. After watching Hussey playing in the extreme weather conditions without caring about the weather which was cold and wet, Flintoff remarked that he had never seen anyone who loved cricket more than Hussey and dubbed him “Mr. Cricket.” When Brad Hogg returned to Australia, he spread the name among his teammates, and the rest is history.
4. 360 Degree/ Mr. 360 -AB de Villiers– As he possesses the ability to hit shots around the 360 degrees of field.
5. Haryana Hurricane-Kapil Dev– Was from Haryana and one of the real fast bowlers for India who made an impression in international cricket.
6. Universal boss-Chris Gayle– Christopher Henry Gayle, widely regarded as one of the most celebrated cricketers of all time, continues to perform admirably. He is the highest run-scorer in T20.
7. White lightening-Allan Donald– Because he was lightning fast and used to apply a zinc cream on his nose on lips which looked white. This was the reason why Allan Donald was called while lightening.
8. Mad Max- Glenn Maxwell– For his hitting ability from ball 1, and once he starts hitting, then it is hard to stop him. He plays almost all kinds of short, which any batsman would not try even in the dream. He even sometimes plays reverse sweep from the bill one and has often succeeded in hitting maximum with the sweep shot.
9. ODI revolutionist- Arjuna Ranatunga – He changed how ODIs are played, especially in the 1996 World cup. No one expected Sri Lanka to win the world cup. He reformed the team, and Sri Lanka started the trend of attack in the first 15 overs.
10. Little Master- Sunil Gavaskar/ Sachin Tendulkar – both are seen as batting greats and short in height. That is why they were named little masters.
11. Pigeon- Glenn McGrath – New South Wales teammate Brad McNamara named him Pigeon after seeing his lean legs.
12. Punter- Ricky Ponting– Ricky Ponting used to bet on dog races in the early 1990s and that’s is why Shane Warne named him Punter. In the Australian language, Punter means someone who bets on a horse or dogs race.
13. Captain cool-Mahendra Singh Dhoni – Being cool on the field he has been named as Captain Club.
14. Jumbo- Anil Kumble– During a match Navjot Singh Sidhu called him Jumbo Jet as a ball bowled by him took off, later the jet was dropped and was only named as Jumbo.
15. Prince of Trinidad- Brian Lara– Brian Lara is considered one of the best batsmen of all time and is from Trinidad. In his early days, he was named Prince of Trinidad.
16. Dada / God of offside-Sourav Ganguly– In Bengali Dada means elder brother and Sourav Ganguly was a Bengali. He had a superb hitting ability in off-side and that is why he was named God of offside.
17. The Don-Bradman – The Don of cricket, both it was a short form of his name and he was Don of cricket.
18. Hitman-Rohit Sharma– Due to his ability to hit sixes at ease and to any bowler. He is also the only batsman in history to score 3 double centuries in ODIs.
19. Swing king- Wasim Akram– Akram was one of the bowlers who could swing the ball at will and that was why called swing king.
20. Pup- Michael Clarke– He was the youngest of the 11 when he joined the Australian cricket team. Pup means little in the Australian dictionary. it is a short form of a puppy.
21. Potato / Aloo- Injamam Ul Haq ( It was only referred by Indian fans/ not referred in the cricketing circle)
22. Turbunator- Harbhajan Singh– He was named after the 2001 Australia- India series where he took 30+ wickets in the series.
23. Rawalpindi Express- Shoaib Akhtar- Regarded as the fastest bowler of history and he belonged to Rawalpindi in Pakistan.
24. Sunny- Sunil Gavaskar – This was the short form of his name.
25. Father of Cricket-WG Grace
26. Freddy- Andrew Flintoff– He was named so by John Stanworth, the captain of Lancashire’s second XI because his name was similar to Fred Flinstone, a cartoon character of the sitcom The Flintstones.
27. Gabbar- Shikhar Dhawan – In a domestic match when two batsmen were batting for hours, Sikhar Dhawan went near them and recited the famous dialogue of Gabbar from Sholay “Bahut yarana lagta hai,” and everyone burst into laughter. Then on his teammates started calling him Gabbar.
28. Smudge-Steve Smith
29. Cheeku- Virat Kohli -His childhood friends called him Cheeku due to his hair like a cartoon character.
30. Gilly- Adam Gilchrist
31 Slinga-Lasith Malinga – Due to his slinging and unusual bowling action Lasith Malinga has been named Slinga.
32 Whispering Death-Michael Holding – Due to his sheer pace and the ability to bowl bouncers.
33 Nawab of Najafgarh-Virendra Sehwag – He used to live in Najafgarh and after scoring his first triple century people started calling him Nawab of Najafgarh.
34 Big Bird-Joe Garner
35 Chef- Mathew Hayden – He is a qualified chef and even has written a book regarding recipes and cooking.
36 Binga-Brett lee– He has a chain of electronics showrooms called Binga Lee.
37 Sultan of swing- Wasim Akram
38 Boom Boom– Shahid Afridi
|Mushie, Jaadugar||Mushtaq Ahmed|
|The Magician, Saeed Bhai||Saeed Ajmal|
|The Burnley Lara, The Burnley Express||James Anderson|
|Big Ship||Warwick Armstrong|
|Athers, FEC, Iron Mike, Cockroach, Dready||Michael Andrew Atherton|
|The Boil, Barnacle||Trevor Bailey|
|Boris, Nora||Gareth Batty|
|Belly, The Sherminator||Ian Bell|
|AB, Captain Grumpy||Allan Border|
|Beefy, Guy the Gorilla||Ian Botham|
|Fiery, Boycs, Thatch||Geoffrey Boycott|
|Brears, Scagg||Mike Brearley|
|Brunty, Nunny||Katherine Brunt|
|Des, Shack, Wingnut||Andy Caddick|
|The Chanderwal||Shivnarine Chanderpaul|
|Dan the Man||Dan Christian|
|Pup, Clarkey||Michael Clarke|
|Chef, Captain Cook||Alastair Cook|
|Electric Heels||Learie Constantine|
|Cossy, Baby-Boof||Mark Cosgrove|
|Patto, Cummo||Pat Cummins|
|Lady Boom Boom||Nida Dar|
|Mad Max||Aravinda de Silva|
|ABD, Mr. 360°||A. B. de Villiers|
|Lord Ted||Ted Dexter|
|Thala, MSD, Mahi, Captain Cool||M. S. Dhoni|
|Pica, Dill||Graham Dilley|
|Diva||Michael Di Venuto|
|Dolly, Bas||Basil D’Oliveira|
|White Lightning||Allan Donald|
|Johnny Won’t Hit Today||J. W. H. T. Douglas|
|The Wall||Rahul Dravid|
|Duleep Mr Smith||K. S. Duleepsinhji|
|Lottie, Chief||Charlotte Edwards|
|Slug, Siuc||Sean Ervine|
|The Finisher||James Faulkner|
|The Watford Wall||Steven Finn|
|The Spice Man||Andre Fletcher|
|Two-metre Peter||Peter Fulton|
|Prince of Kolkata, God of Offside, Dada||Sourav Ganguly|
|Big Bird||Joel Garner|
|Fat Gatt||Mike Gatting|
|Little master, Sunny||Sunil Gavaskar|
|World Boss, Mr. T20, Universe Boss||Chris Gayle|
|Fast Eddie||Eddie Gilbert|
|Gilly, Churchy||Adam Gilchrist|
|Gilo, Skinny, Splash, The King of Spain, Wheelie Bin||Ashley Giles|
|W. G., The Doctor, The Old Man, The Champion||W. G. Grace|
|Grunners, Carol||Rebecca Grundy|
|BJ, Hadds||Brad Haddin|
|Professor, Professor of Sargodha||Mohammad Hafeez|
|Baby Boycott||Haseeb Hameed|
|Harmy, GBH (Grievous Bodily Harmison)||Steve Harmison|
|Harvs, The Freak||Ian Harvey|
|The Duke||John Hastings|
|Haydos, Big Fish||Matthew Hayden|
|Des, Dessie||Rachael Haynes|
|Black Bradman||George Headley|
|The Master||Jack Hobbs|
|Hodgey, Dodgeball||Brad Hodge|
|Whispering Death||Michael Holding|
|Monkey, The Boss||A. N. Hornby|
|Huss, Bomber, Junior Mr. Cricket||David Hussey|
|Dot Baba||Tamim Iqbal|
|Jaddu, Sir Jadeja||Ravindra Jadeja|
|The Iron Duke||Douglas Jardine|
|Matara Mauler, Master Blaster, Sana||Sanath Jayasuriya|
|The Croucher||Gilbert Jessop|
|Midge, Notch||Mitchell Johnson|
|Little Kalu, Little Dynamite||Romesh Kaluwitharana|
|The Lion of Lahore||Imran Khan|
|Uzzie, Captain Grumpy||Usman Khawaja|
|Knotty, Flea||Alan Knott|
|Bhuvi, The Swing Prince||Bhuvneshwar Kumar|
|Apple, Jumbo||Anil Kumble|
|Alfie, JL||Justin Langer|
|Megastar, Serious Sally||Meg Lanning|
|The Prince of Port of Spain||Brian Lara|
|The Postman||Gavin Larsen|
|Very Very Special||V. V. S. Laxman|
|Shrimp||H. D. G. Leveson Gower|
|Super Cat||Clive Lloyd|
|Lynnsanity, Bash Brother||Chris Lynn|
|G.O.A.T, Garry, Gazza||Nathan Lyon|
|Mac, Magilla||Stuart MacGill|
|Saj, King||Sajid Mahmood|
|Skid, Speedy||Vic Marks|
|Father Marriott||Charles Marriott|
|Iron Gloves, Bacchus||Rod Marsh|
|Angie, Superman, Jocka||Angelo Mathews|
|Bash Brother||Brendon McCullum|
|Pigeon, Millard||Glenn McGrath|
|Big Mac||Brian McMillan|
|Lone warrior, Tuk tuk, Man of Crisis||Misbah-ul-Haq|
|Big Mom||Roberta Moretti Avery|
|Dial M||Tim Murtagh|
|The President||Mohammad Nabi|
|Nella, Gunther||André Nel|
|Badger, Nico||Paul Nixon|
|Mary Ann||Monty Noble|
|George, Mdingi Express||Makhaya Ntini|
|The Mont-ster, Python, The Beard to be Feared, The Sikh of Tweak||Monty Panesar|
|Tiger||Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi|
|K. P., Kelvin, Kelv, Kapes||Kevin Pietersen|
|Pooch, The Big Dog||Peter Pollock|
|The Cheese||Matt Prior|
|Mr. IPL, Chinna Thala||Suresh Raina|
|Arkle, Rags||Derek Randall|
|Ranji||K. S. Ranjitsinhji|
|The Razzler, Bang Bang Razzaq||Abdul Razzaq|
|The Turtle||Matt Renshaw|
|Smokin Joe, Smokey, King Viv, The Emperor, The Master Blaster||Viv Richards|
|Fat Cat||Greg Ritchie|
|Lil’ J||Jemimah Rodrigues|
|Mahi, M. S., Shazi||Mohammad Shahzad|
|Hit-Man, Shana, 264||Rohit Sharma|
|Sid Vicious||Peter Siddle|
|Bhajji, Turbanator||Harbhajan Singh|
|Yuvi, Prince||Yuvraj Singh|
|Smithy, Smudge, GOD||Steve Smith|
|The Demon||Fred Spofforth|
|The Gaffer||Alec Stewart|
|Lord Brocket, Straussy, Levi, Muppet, Johann, Mare Man||Andrew Strauss|
|Rosco, Pallekelle Plunderer||Ross Taylor|
|Thommo, Two-Up||Jeff Thomson|
|Tresco, Banger||Marcus Trescothick|
|Tuffers, The Cat||Phil Tufnell|
|The Terror||Charles Turner|
|The King of Spin||Shane Warne|
|Afghan – the forgotten Waugh, Junior||Mark Waugh|
|All Hands||Monde Zondeki|
Wrapping Up Famous Cricketers Nickname
These were some famous cricketers and their nicknames, you can comment below if you want to make any addition. Or if you have any question can comment below.